Get FREE Bitcoins!
- Ripple XRP prices reached almost as high as $4 in January before pulling back
- Many long-term Ripple Coin holders believe that a full recovery will occur later in the year
- The best Ripple wallet offerings currently include Toast, Revolut, Abra, a Ripple Paper wallet and the hardware wallet Nano Ledger S
Ripple (symbol: XRP) is one of the most controversial cryptocurrencies currently on the market. The company is called Ripple and their token is represented by the symbol XRP, however many people also refer to the token itself as Ripple, or Ripple XRP.
Not truly decentralized like Bitcoin but incredibly high-performance, the Ripple XRP coin is the token which investors often love or loathe in equal measure. That said, with Ripple XRP widely expected to at least triple in value this year, the digital currency still features in many investor portfolios. For more details, read this great article which goes into depth on exactly what Ripple is.
Where To Buy Ripple XRP?
Due to it’s popularity, you can buy XRP at quite a few different exchanges. However, many exchanges have been subject to hacking and theft and it is best to choose where you buy Ripple carefully. For now, we recommend buying at one of the following exchanges:
In most cases, the simplest and quickest way to get Ripple is to first buy bitcoin and then send that bitcoin to one of the exchanges listed above. Here are some options for this:
- How to Buy Bitcoin on Coinbase – this will also give you FREE $10 worth of bitcoin!
- Changelly – This is perhaps one of the quickest and easiest ways, but with this method you set up your Ripple coin wallet first (check out our Changelly review).
What Are the Year’s Best Ripple Wallets?
One problem with Ripple XRP lies with the fact that there are few iOS, Android, and PC desktop wallets which support Ripple coin. This is changing, though, and as such, we’ve put together a list of the 5 best wallets for Ripple which you should be using in 2018.
1. Ledger Nano S Hardware Wallet – The Top Ripple Wallet Overall
A hardware wallet is generally considered to be the safest way to store any cryptocurrency because hardware wallets keep your cryptocurrency offline at all times and allow you to recover your coins if the wallet gets damaged or lost.
Currently, there is only one hardware wallet which supports Ripple XRP: the Ledger Nano S.
For Ripple XRP investors who want wallet portability and rock-solid security, a Nano Ledger S device might be the answer.
Already considered by most cryptocurrency investors as one of the safest ways to store several different forms of cryptocurrency, the Ledger Nano S wallets feature several unique security features.
Ledger Nano S Pros:
- A Ledger Nano S wallet can store Ripple XRP as well as 25+ crypto coins
- The size of a USB stick, Nano devices are fully portable
- Ledger Nano S wallets process all transactions internally, keeping your Ripple wallet offline. Robust internal firewalls subsequently protect coins, even in the event that devices are plugged into computers that have viruses and malware on them
- All transactions have to be authenticated manually by users, meaning it’s nearly impossible for someone else to use your cryptocurrency without your authorization
- When setting up the wallet you will be prompted to create a recovery passphrase which will allow you to easily restore your wallet balance if the device has been lost, stolen, or damaged
Ledger Nano S Cons:
- Hardware wallets are not free. Currently the Ledger Nano S costs €79 (approximately $93)
Is a Ledger Nano S the Best XRP Wallet for You?
Hardware wallets like the Ledger Nano S, are quickly becoming the standard for optimal overall cryptocurrency security. If users can afford the price tag, then the Ledger Nano S is probably the best Ripple XRP wallet for you.
2. Toast – The Best Ripple Desktop Wallet (for Windows, Mac & Linux)
Toast is a fun, friendly, open-source, Ripple XRP wallet app which prides itself on being: “Simple enough for your Grandma to use.”
What Toast isn’t, though, is lacking when it comes to Ripple security. This is thanks to the fact that Toast never communicates with anything other than the official Ripple XRP network when processing transactions.
While Toast does have an app, the user reviews seem to suggest that currently the desktop version performs better.
- The Toast Ripple XRP wallet is fully open-source and works with Windows, Mac, Linux, iOS and Android
- When Toast processes transactions, it does so completely free of any fees
- Toast wallets are easy to back up with wallet recovery passphrases (providing users generate these prior to wallets being lost)
- Toast provides users with the added benefit of being able to create a dedicated Ripple paper wallet (see section below on “Ripple paper wallets” for details)
- Not quite as secure as the Ledger Nano S because it is a desktop wallet and, therefore, only as secure as your computer itself.
Is Toast the Best Ripple XRP Wallet for You?
One drawback with Toast stems from the fact that Toast does not benefit from iOS or Android support. As a result, users are limited to just desktop PC (or Mac) access and can’t spend funds ‘on the go.’
3. Abra – The Best Ripple Wallet App (Android & iOS)
The Abra app is an exciting Android and iOS app that allows you to store 25 different cryptocurrencies, including Ripple, as well as dozens of fiat currencies on your phone. Abra essentially turns your phone into your own personal bank.
Something else that is really cool about Abra is that you can also use it to send and receive money internationally for a fraction of the cost of your bank or Western Union.
- You can store your money in whatever currency you want – you can swap between 25 different cryptocurrencies and fiat currencies instantly within the app
- Your funds are never touched by Abra – the wallet is non-custodial, meaning the funds are actually stored on your phone
- Abra allows you to create a recovery phrase in case your phone gets lost or damaged, so you can always recover your money
- On the go and portable
- Not as safe as a hardware wallet because you depend on your phone’s security
- Not 100% as there are very small fees taken when making transactions, though these are competitive with cryptocurrency exchanges and significantly smaller regarding international sending and receiving
Is Abra the Right Ripple Wallet For You?
If being able to access your funds at any time on your phone is important to you and you like the idea of being able to easily swap between cryptocurrencies then Abra might be the best Ripple XRP wallet for you. Particularly if you are involved in international remittances, the Abra may also save you quite a bit of money as well.
4. Revolut – The All-In-One Online Banking, Cryptocurrency & XRP Wallet
A relative outsider in the cryptocurrency market, Revolut is an online alternative fiat cash banking app that has really taken off in Europe and is beginning to gain traction in the U.S. and Canada.
Available in Europe, the UK, Canada and the United States, Revolut allows users to instantly exchange fiat cash without any fees across a variety of world currencies. What users can also do, though, is top up their Revolut account using a credit or debit card, and then buy coins like Ripple XRP, Litecoin, Bitcoin, Bitcoin Cash and Ethereum.
- Revolut users who buy Ripple XRP (or any other form of cryptocurrency) in-app, can store this safely just like in any other app wallet
- Revolut users who do store Ripple XRP can exchange this at any time for other supported currencies
- Those who use Revolut can easily convert Ripple (and other coin holdings) into fiat cash to spend as they please with their accompanying Revolut debit card
- Free international money transfers and you can spend money abroad for free
- Revolut has features to help you save, for example it can automatically round up every charge and put the change into what they refer to as a savings vault
- There are some limits, such as only being able to withdraw up to £200/€200 per day. To increase these limits requires a fee of £6.99 per month
- Like Abra, because everything is stored on your phone, it is not quite as safe as the Ledger Nano S hardware wallet
- Revolut currently only supports 5 cryptocurencies, as opposed to Abra which supports 25
Is Revolut the Best Wallet for Ripple for You?
While not a true cryptocurrency wallet application, Revolut can be an ideal way to buy and store coins, as well as transact with Ripple on the go. As a result, if being mobile and always connected is important to you, signing up with Revolut is definitely worth consideration. Revolut also has incredibly high user reviews on both the Play Store and the iTunes App Store.
Revolut and Abra have some similarities and it is worth trying both out to compare and see which one is preferable to you.
5. Ripple Paper Wallet
Generally here at Do Cryptocurrency we do not recommend paper wallets as they are usually quite technical and easy to mess up. However, the Toast wallet has created an easy way to generate a Ripple XRP paper wallet, also called a Ripple cold wallet.
Keep in mind a paper wallet really is just a pair of keys: a Ripple wallet address and a secret key (never share your secret key!).
How to Create a Ripple XRP Paper Wallet in Toast
- Within Toast, select + Add Account
- Then click Generate New Address
- Import the address into your wallet (you will be given a prompt to backup, which you can ignore if you already did so)
- On the home screen, tap the new address and write it down on a piece of paper
- Next tap Secret and enter your passphrase in order to view it, then write this down on the piece of paper as well
- Make sure to make copies of the paper wallet, laminate it and store it safely in at least two different places
- If you want, you can delete the address from the Toast wallet since you now have an XRP paper wallet
What About a Ripple Wallet Online?
In general, it is considered unsafe to store your cryptocurrency online at an exchange. There is one exchange, however, that we feel comfortable recommending for an online wallet: Coinbase, because they keep most funds in offline cold storage and even insure your account. However, Coinbase does not currently support Ripple XRP.
Of the available options for a Ripple online wallet, the best choice is probably Kraken due to their solid security practices. That being said, we do not recommend this approach and do recommend the 5 top Ripple wallets discussed above.
Though there aren’t many choices currently for XRP wallets, the 5 highlighted here are considered to be the best Ripple wallets.
If you plan to hold enough XRP that you would be quite disappointed if you lost it, then we highly recommend you invest in the security of the Ledger Nano S, to make sure you won’t lost your money.
Have your Ripple wallet ready to go? Get Ripple XRP right now with this Changelly widget:
What are your opinions on these Ripple XRP wallets? Do you have any favorites? Share with the community in the comments section below.
Richard has developed and ran multiple online websites and communities with tens of millions of monthly visitors. He first discovered bitcoin and blockchain in 2012 and has been helping to educate others on its potential since then. Richard is very passionate about the crypto community. Read his inspiring story into cryptocurrency here.