Get FREE Bitcoins!
Get FREE Bitcoins!
- Sometimes it can be tough to get your hands on some bitcoin (BTC) quickly and simply
- Using exchanges like Coinbase is widely regarded as the easiest and quickest way to buy bitcoin via debit card, but credit cards and PayPal cannot be used
- Despite being popular, many people find it challenging to satisfy Know-Your-Customer (KYC) identity verification requirements on exchanges like Coinbase
- For those who can’t, or prefer not to, use exchanges like Coinbase, there are several alternative ways to buy bitcoin instantly using credit cards, debit cards, and even PayPal
- Below we cover where to buy bitcoins quickly and easily with a credit card, debit card, prepaid card and PayPal
Buying Bitcoin Instantly Online Isn’t As Easy As It Used to Be
Using a credit card, debit card or PayPal have generally been the main methods for getting bitcoin instantly.
However, at the start of 2018, several banks and credit card issuers started waging a quiet war on cryptocurrency. As a result, many major credit cards can no longer be used to buy bitcoin. Even Coinbase, often considered one of the simplest ways to buy bitcoin, stopped accepting credit cards in February.
The good news, though, is that there are several workarounds to these restrictions.
Let’s take a look at the different ways that you can buy bitcoin straightaway and safely in 2018.
1. Buy Bitcoin Instantly With a Debit Card with Coinbase
One of the easiest ways to buy bitcoin with a debit card is to use Coinbase. Generally regarded considered to be one of the best bitcoin exchanges, Coinbase has built up a reputation for security and ease of use.
Coinbase allows you to purchase bitcoin using a debit card (as well as link your bank account and wire transfer). The entire process is quick and easy if you have proper identification.
For details on how to do this, see our guide on how to buy bitcoin on Coinbase.
2. Coinmama – A Super Simple & Fast Way to Buy Bitcoin With a Visa or Mastercard
If you would like to buy bitcoin with a Visa or Mastercard credit card, then Coinmama is a good choice. Coinmama was one of the early entrants to offering bitcoin via credit card all over the world. They have a solid reputation among the cryptocurrency community.
Coinmama serves nearly every country on Earth, however they only operate in some of the states within the U.S.
Using Coinmama, you can get bitcoin in your bitcoin wallet within a few minutes.
This is one of the easiest and safest ways to get your hands on bitcoin instantly, however you pay for this simplicity and speed with a relatively high fee of 5%. There is also a daily purchase limit of 5000 USD/EUR.
One important thing to note is that Coinmama never has custody of your bitcoin, so you will need to set up a bitcoin wallet before purchasing, if you don’t already have one.
3. Changelly – Another Instant Way to Buy Bitcoin With a Visa or Mastercard Credit Card
Another (very similar) way to purchase bitcoin quickly and simply is to use Changelly. Changelly and Coinmama are very similar, though there are a few important differences.
Changelly also has a stellar reputation and experience within the crypto world. They are best known for making it super simple to instantly swap from one cryptocurrency to another. However, they also offer near immediate purchase of bitcoin via Visa and Mastercard credit cards.
Though Changelly’s fees are the same as Coinmama (5%), they operate in all states in the U.S. as well as nearly every country in the world. So if you can’t use Coinmama, Changelly would be a good alternative.
Also, one advantage to Changelly vs. Coinmama is that Changelly has higher daily limits of $20,000 USD (though your first transaction is limited to $10,000).
Like Coinmama, Changelly does not ever actually touch your bitcoin so you need a bitcoin wallet before making a purchase.
Changelly is so easy to use, in fact, that you can simply use the Changelly widget below to make a purchase. Or, if you prefer you can visit Changelly directly.
For a more in-depth look at Changelly, see our Changelly review.
4. Xapo – Buy BTC Instantly Directly From Your Wallet Provider
- Xapo is a Bitcoin wallet app available on iOS and Android which allows users to buy Bitcoin immediately using both prepaid and regular credit and debit card
- The Wall Street Journal described Xapo as the Fort Knox of bitcoin storage – in other words, it’s super safe security
Xapo is a good choice if you would like to use them as your wallet provider. The fees vary depending on what method you use to purchase bitcoin on Xapo.
Non-U.S. residents can purchase bitcoin on Xapo with a credit card or can make (near) instant Bitcoin purchases using the online payment processors Skrill and Neteller.
U.S. residents can buy bitcoin on Xapo with a wire transfer or bank direct deposit, but these are not instant purchases. If you are a U.S. resident looking to instantly buy bitcoin, choose another one of the choices listed here.
5. Abra – Purchase Bitcoin Quickly With Visa, Mastercard & American Express on an All-in-One App
Abra is an app available on iOS and Android that wants to be your all-in-one bitcoin solution, and they are making great headway in that direction.
Where Abra excels is in its ease of use. The app is sleek with a very intuitive interface. You can also swap back and forth between bitcoin and 20+ cryptocurrencies and dozens of fiat currencies. It’s also a convenient and cheap way to send money overseas (take that Western Union!).
Abra is also a non-custodial wallet meaning that they never touch your funds, which “live” on the device itself. If the device ever gets lost, damaged or stolen you simply use a recovery phrase on a new wallet and your balance will be restored.
In addition to allowing you to buy bitcoin simply with Visa and Mastercard (at a relatively high fee of 8%), you can also buy bitcoin using American Express (4% fee).
Get the Abra app for Android or iOS:
6. Revolut – One of the Best Ways to Instantly Buy Bitcoin in Europe
- Revolut is a virtual bank account and prepaid Visa card app, which will enable users to buy Bitcoin, Litecoin, Ethereum, Ripple XRP and dozens of fiat currencies using their Revolut account balance
- Using Revolut to buy 1 BTC will see users save $100 (approx) on the cost of purchasing the same amount of Bitcoin at Coinbase
- Revolut accounts can be topped up via PayPal (more on this below)
If you live in Europe, then the Revolut app may be the best way for you to buy bitcoin fast (though the app will soon be available in the U.S., Canada and many more countries world wide, so depending on when you read this, it may already be available in your country.
Revolut is an online banking app that is extremely popular in Europe. The app allows you to instantly exchange fiat currencies for free. What you can also do is top up your Revolut account with bitcoin.
Revolut charges a reasonable fee of 1.5%, which may make it one of the cheapest ways to purchase bitcoin instantly.
You can fund your Revolut account using a credit card and instantly swap your currency into bitcoin. Depending on your country of residency, new users will have an initial top-up limit between £500 and £3,000.
7. How to Buy Bitcoins With PayPal Easily – Yes, it is Still Possible!
Is it still possible to buy bitcoin easily with PayPal in 2018? The short answer is, yes.
There are currently 3 options for buying bitcoins instantly with PayPal.
What PayPal users in Europe (and soon in other countries) can do, is sign up to Revolut as mentioned above, and buy Bitcoin instantly after crediting their new Revolut account.
- Using PayPal and Revolut this way allows users to buy Bitcoin at regular market prices
- Bitcoin purchased can be quickly withdrawn later as fiat cast either at an ATM or via PayPal
- Unlike with peer-to-peer exchanges like LocalBitcoins and Paxful, there is zero risk of transactions taking place fraudulently
If Revolut is available in your country, then this is the method we would recommend (links to Revolut apps are above)
You can use PayPal to buy bitcoin on Virwox, however when buying bitcoin in this way you are actually first buying Linden Dollars, a virtual currency used in the online virtual world Second Life. You then exchange the Linden Dollars for bitcoin.
Virwox’s fees end up being rather high since you have to make two transactions, but it is a fairly instant way to buy bitcoin.
To get bitcoin on Virwox:
- Sign up with VirWox
- Deposit money into your account with PayPal
- Buy Second Life Lindens (SLL) on the USD/SLL exchange
- Buy bitcoin on the SLL/BTC exchange
- You can then withdraw the bitcoin to your wallet
Using Wirex you can use PayPal to fund your account in fiat currency. You can then transfer your funds into bitcoin instantly. However, if it is your first time funding your account with PayPal it will take 1-2 days. After that, it will be instant.
8. Buy Bitcoin Instantly With A Prepaid Debit or Credit Card
Is your credit card issuer refusing to allow you to buy bitcoin instantly? Or, are you unable to link a physical bank account with an exchange or verify your identity? If so, you could try using a pre-paid card to buy bitcoin.
One workaround to the current credit card ban on many exchanges is to use prepaid Visa and MasterCards to fund accounts. Cex.io, for example, allows users to buy Bitcoin with virtual Visa cards.
Another option, for EU residents, is to use BitPanda or Xapo, which allow users to sign up and make (near) instant Bitcoin purchases using Skrill and Neteller.
Finally, prepaid credit and debit cards can also be used at peer-to-peer bitcoin exchanges which we discuss below.
9. Buy Bitcoin Quickly and Anonymously at Local Exchanges
When doing so, though, users should always expect to pay a premium price on any coin purchase. It is also important to be vigilant and watch out for scams when doing so as these are direct exchanges between you and the seller.
Using Paxful and LocalBitcoins you can pay with nearly any payment, including cash, prepaid credit and debit cards, gift cards and anything else the seller will accept in return for bitcoin.
It is getting harder to buy bitcoins instantly, especially with the recent banning of some credit cards for purchasing bitcoin. However, as the 9 methods above show, it is still possible to get your hands on some bitcoin quickly and easily.
Do you have experience with any of the above methods? Or any others you’d like to add? Please share in the comments section below and help out the community.
Richard has developed and ran multiple online websites and communities with tens of millions of monthly visitors. He first discovered bitcoin and blockchain in 2012 and has been helping to educate others on its potential since then. Richard is very passionate about the crypto community. Read his inspiring story into cryptocurrency here.